Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Support Public Libraries!!!

 Hello hello hello my lovely readers! I'd like to give an update before getting into today's post.

I am back with a new post, and I apologize for being inactive! School is finally going to start up for me (I'm sure I'll regret the use of finally) and thus I have begun preparations in full swing. I start next week and am actually quite excited for my first year of uni. I have gone back to school shopping online for supplies because I can't go without my cute stationery, and bought some new shoes and jeans and such. I am definitely all set to go. But, amidst this, I got sick! It is horrible and great timing because it's not when school is starting but right when school is about to start. Hopefully it all goes away before my first day of classes. Anyway, that's all I have for a life update! I hope you all enjoy the little changes I made to the blog as well. :) Onto today's post... ⋆‧°𓏲ּ𝄢

---- ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

Hot Girls Have a Library Card (And Even Multiple)!

In today's article, I'd like to shine some light on public libraries! I absolutely love libraries and their resources and spaces have been an avid part of my life the entire time I've been around. When I was young, my mom constantly took me to the library. It was a cool space amidst the heat of my city, and was a place she could take me that was completely free and fun. I remember spending entire days at the library; going on the computers, playing with their toys alongside other children, reading, attending crafting events or movie screening events, getting free food, and much more. My library was my safe space. I am very lucky to have known about the library through my mom because so many people don't know about it and utilize its luxury, but also so many people don't have access to public libraries in places outside of the U.S. So, I'm going to share about the amazing resources libraries offer in efforts to convince those who do have access to public libraries to get a library card, and inform you of the great things that come with a library card!

I am going to be sharing based on my experience with public libraries in my state. I am not sure if your library will have all the resources listed or require the same things to get a library card, so take everything with a grain of salt and check with your local library to see what resources they specifically offer. 

So Emily, why should I get a library card? ⋆‧°𓏲ּ𝄢

Well, let's start with the basic resources libraries offer.

Libraries are cooling centers. This means they are open to the general public, and are safe places with air conditioning, drinking water, and clean restrooms. This is especially important for families who may have problems with air conditioning at home. This is also extremely helpful for the homeless on extremely hot days.

Libraries offer access to WiFi and computers. Things many people do not have access to at home. For free! Anyone who has a library card can use the library WiFi to use the library computers to simply search the web, apply for jobs, complete work, complete school assignments, etc. Some libraries even let you rent out laptops!

Libraries offer printing services. These are often at a low charge for both black-and-white and color printing. At some libraries, printing is free for a certain amount of pages everyday! Some libraries also offer poster printing (I've seen videos of the Los Angeles Public Library offering this). And some libraries even have 3D printers! And allow you to 3D print completely for free and even provide the materials!

Libraries offer free classes and events. Libraries offer classes on a variety of things; like how to use the internet, how to apply for jobs, how to create a resume, cooking classes, and so much more. There is surely something for everyone who might want to learn a new skill. Events wise, they offer a plethora of things as well! I've been to movie screenings, journal making, CD burning, and I'm going to a book bedazzling event at my local library this week! There are also events for specific age groups; so there are youth events, teen events, and adult events! These can be viewed on your library's website and/or social media pages. Space is often limited for these events, so there is usually a requirement for you to register for each event or class you'd like to attend.

Miscellaneous resources the library offers include free or discounted tickets to museums, aquariums, or anything of that nature that is local to you. Some libraries also offer free passes to national and/or state parks! Many libraries are also expanding to have "Maker's Spaces" where there is access to multiple creative resources like professional photography equipment, sewing machines and embroidery machines, 3D printers, access to the Adobe creative cloud, podcast studios, videography equipment, and much more. I have also seen some libraries offer help with becoming a U.S. citizen and aid individuals the process of doing so, including teaching English if needed. Completely for free.

Libraries also offer access to their online catalog. My local libraries offer access to Libby, Hoopla, Kanopy, CloudLibrary, Palace Project, ABC Mouse, and many more. Libby, Hoopla, Cloud Library, and Palace Project have their own catalogs of eBooks, audiobooks, and digital magazines. Libby can be used on e-readers such as Kindle and Kobo and others that support the Libby app. This means you can read library books and listen to audiobooks through your library on your Kindle or e-reader! Hoopla offers access to a large catalog of music and film, meaning you can download movies and music completely for free to listen to and/or watch without ads! You can also cast movies to your TV through the app! There are also things called "BingePasses" on Hoopla which allow you to have access to movies and shows through a certain premium catalog like Starz, Hallmark, Hasbro, PBS, etc. (My library has the entire My Little Pony series!)

And, of course, you can borrow books, CDs, and DVDs, which is what most people know the library offers.

Okay, I See the Library is Great. Now, How Do I Get A Library Card? ⋆‧°𓏲ּ𝄢

First, if you don't know where your nearest library is, get straight to Googling! Once you find your nearest library, head over. You will need:

A government-issued ID. (Driver's license or state ID is best. If you bring a passport you will likely be asked for a proof of address. But, I'd bring both just in case.)

A proof of address. (This can be a bill, a piece of mail, anything with your name and address.)

(If you are under 18, your parent or guardian will need to be present and bring these. Then an account can be made for you under them, you will still have your own library card!)

Once you're at the library, speak with a librarian and say you'd like a library card! The librarian will then give you a library card application that you need to fill out. This usually just asks for your name, address, age, and advises you that you are responsible for all materials checked out under your name. When you're done, hand the completed application to the library along with your ID and proof of address, and the librarian will make your account and give you your library card! Yay! It really is that easy.

I'd also like to mention that libraries are under library systems. Some libraries only have a single branch, and some have multiple branches. Branches are library locations within the same system. Libraries under the same system use the same library card to check out materials and use resources. You can return materials or pick up holds from any branch within the same library system. So, if you go to a new library, make sure you are within the same library system or are happy to get a new card! Do not return materials to a library within another system. The books are not part of that separate catalog. You can view all your library's branches on their website to be sure!

Also, in some states, you can get a library card in all systems as long as you are a resident in that state. Make sure to ask at each library you want to get a library card at if this is okay, because for some it is not. You typically cannot get a library card in another state from where you live. (But, at some you can get an E-Card and do this! E-Cards only give you access to online materials at that library.)

---- ˚⊱🪷⊰˚

I hope you enjoyed this and go out and get a library card!!! If you have any questions or need any more clarifications, leave comments! I'd be happy to help as much as I can. Thanks so much for reading! And remember, having fun isn't hard when you've got a library card!

With much love always,

Emilia xx

No comments:

Post a Comment